Closed Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Chart point colours to show time trend

  1. #1
    AndyE
    Guest

    Chart point colours to show time trend

    Is there any way that I can plot two sets of data against each other, while
    getting the colour to vary depending on how recent the data points are?

    I'm using a scatter graph to build up a pattern of the interaction between
    two variables, but it would be great to know where in the (now 900) data I
    currently am, and what the short-term trends are...

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart point colours to show time trend

    Hi,

    See Jon Peltier's example of conditional charts.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    AndyE
    Guest

    Re: Chart point colours to show time trend

    Yes, but what I want is to show say change in price against change in volume
    (for an example), over say 2 years, with the colour of the plot points
    progressing from e.g. blue to red (via magenta on the way) over the two
    years, so you can track the data over time. I've seen it done, but I think
    elsewhere (different system, quite possibly).

    It's a question of setting up a relatively slow progression in the colour
    changes...

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart point colours to show time trend

    The conditional approach will work but it would require quite a few
    helper columns.

    Another way would be via VBA.

    do you have data about the age of each point in another column or are
    the points within the column already in age order?

  5. #5
    AndyE
    Guest

    Re: Chart point colours to show time trend

    They're in date order, with the dates next to them (so both!).

  6. #6
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart point colours to show time trend

    Here is a worked up example.
    http://www.andypope.info/charts/spectrum.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

  7. #7
    AndyE
    Guest

    Re: Chart point colours to show time trend

    Great - that looks ideal (excel-lent?). Thanks for the help Andy!

  8. #8
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Chart point colours to show time trend

    You're welcome.