x Axis labels

  1. #1
    Norm75
    Guest

    x Axis labels

    I have 2 columns - one with the months of the year and the second col. with
    the years back to 2002. The 3rd col. contains the data. When I chart the
    data, the years show in the vertical - OK. However, the months only show in
    the horizontal and I would like them to show in the vertical as well to save
    col. space. Can't seem to get the months to change direction.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks. Norm.

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: x Axis labels

    Norm,

    Try double-clicking on the category (x) axis labels. When you do so, the
    Format Axis dialog box should appear. In the Format Axis dialog box, go to
    the Alignment tab and set the text orientation to 90 degrees one way or the
    other.

    Regards,
    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Norm75
    Guest

    RE: x Axis labels

    Thanks, John. I have tried that and the year column changes direction but the
    second column 'months' remains in the horizontal. I am unable to change the
    'month' column to the vertical. Should I be doing something else?

    Thanks for your advice.

    Norm.

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: x Axis labels

    Hi,

    Can you make use of a helper column that concatenates the 1st 2 columns
    and use that for the axis labels instead.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  5. #5
    Norm75
    Guest

    Re: x Axis labels

    Many thanks, Andy. That did it. I forgot all about the concatination function.

    Much obliged. Norm.