How to create a bar chart of hours worked by day?

  1. #1
    mandruss
    Guest

    How to create a bar chart of hours worked by day?

    Excel 2003. I have a spreadsheet containing the columns: Date, Time In, Time
    Out. E.g.,
    5/11/05 08:30 17:30
    5/12/05 10:30 18:00

    Is it possible to create a chart from this data with the following
    characteristics? If so, how?

    1. Dates down the left side.

    2. Across the bottom, a time-of-day scale, beginning at 0800 and ending at
    2200, with labels at one-hour intervals. I.e., 0800 0900 1000 1100 ...
    2200

    3. For each date, a horizontal bar which begins at the Time In value for
    that date and ends at the Time Out value for that date.

    Optionally:

    4. Ability to enter multiple, non-contiguous Time In/Time Out pairs for a
    given date, resulting in a "broken" bar for that date. E.g., 5/12/05 08:30
    10:30 12:00 18:00

    5. Display of a "total time in" value, in hours to one decimal position, to
    the right of each bar. E.g., 8.5.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: How to create a bar chart of hours worked by day?

    Hi,

    Seems like you need a gantt chart. See Jon Peltier's article.

    He also has a collection of links here.
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html

    Cheers
    Andy

    ps: apologies if this is a double post my email was playing up

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    ellmcg
    Guest

    RE: How to create a bar chart of hours worked by day?

    You could also just do the said Gantt chart with an Excel table, with
    conditional formatting to highlight times which come under different
    categories, designated by a letter or number in each cell. However it seems
    one can only get 3 conditions to work for each cell.

    It is also possible to write a fancy macro reading colours in the 'working'
    cells and counting them up - but I'm still figuring out how to do macros with
    colours...