up down bar value (difference)

  1. #1
    Basil
    Guest

    up down bar value (difference)

    Hiya,

    I have a line chart with two lines. I have included down bars from the upper
    line. I would like the difference of value between the two lines (i.e. the
    height of the down bars) to be shown within the down bars.

    Is this possible?

    Thanks,

    Basil

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: up down bar value (difference)

    one way to do it, (If I understand what you want) on the spread sheet
    calculate the difference in say D1:D4
    on the chart start a text box and in the formula bar enter = and point to
    the cell with the difference.
    format the text box for the alignment and fill colors you want and place it
    on the
    down bar for each data point pair.

  3. #3
    Basil
    Guest

    RE: up down bar value (difference)

    I was looking for a way that didn't rely on seperate text boxes.

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: up down bar value (difference)

    another way would be to find the midpoint between each data pair
    lable each midpoint data pair as the delta value
    plot this group of data as mutilple data series.
    select each one to show data lables for series lable and delete the legend
    for that series from the legend box. You can format the lables as to
    orientation veritical etc.
    (I really miss the old Data lables as assigned that used to be available. I
    have no idea why that was removed, Cause I used to use it A bunch)

  5. #5
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: up down bar value (difference)

    Hi,

    Have a look at this example I've put together. I combines both of bj's
    suggestions but only requires 1 extra data series.

    http://www.andypope.info/charts/Hilolabel.htm

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: up down bar value (difference)

    > (I really miss the old Data lables as assigned that used to be available. I
    > have no idea why that was removed, Cause I used to use it A bunch)

    The up-down bars have never had a labeling capability. The alternative approach is
    to build a floating column chart, and use the columns' data labels to display the
    difference data. The nice thing about a floating column chart is that the value is
    the difference between top and bottom, so simple data labels using the Show Value
    option will do the trick.

    Floating Column Charts:
    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...ngColumns.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  7. #7
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: up down bar value (difference)

    Hi Jon,

    The column technique works great for positive values but not so for
    negative ones.

    Cheers
    Andy

  8. #8
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: up down bar value (difference)

    Andy -

    Do you need a number format? a custom label? to account for a bar
    crossing zero?

    - Jon

  9. #9
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: up down bar value (difference)

    Hi Jon,

    Not sure I understand the questions.

    If you take my example and replace the line series with the stacked
    columns for negative gaps the 2nd set of columns will appear below the
    1st and not in the gap in between.

    Cheers
    Andy

  10. #10
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: up down bar value (difference)

    Andy -

    The higher the plot order, the further from the X axis a series will be
    positioned. In my "Column Chart That Crosses the X-Axis" example, I have
    duplicate series, one for each series you ought to have to plot, with
    the negative copies in reverse order compared to the positive copies.

    For fun, plot this data in a column chart, with series in rows:

    A B C D
    a 1 -1 1 -1
    b 2 -2 -2 2
    c 3 -3 3 -3
    d 4 -4 -4 4
    e 5 -5 5 -5

    At categories A and B, series 'a' is always closest to the X axis and
    'e' is always furthest. This means 'a' is under 'b' if they both are
    positive, but 'a' is over 'b' if both are negative. If they are of mixed
    signs, 'a' and 'b' appear on opposite sides of the axis.

    This behavior is logical, after you've played with it and thought about
    it. But at first glance, it can be very confusing to the users.

    - Jon
    -------