Make bars on a bar chart clickable?

  1. #1
    Mark Stephens
    Guest

    Make bars on a bar chart clickable?

    Is there a way to make the bars on a bar chart clickable. I can get the
    functionality by coverin g them with an invisible shape but the problem is
    that the size of the graph changes with changed data and so the covers don't
    fit over the bars when it rescales. Another alternative I have thought could
    work is to somehow measure the distance between vertical gridlines and then
    draw a shape to the psecified dimension and align it to the x axis - pretty
    complicated don't know if that could be done.

    Any ideas much appreciated, kind regards, Mark

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Make bars on a bar chart clickable?

    Hi Mark,

    Can you not adapt the chart event codes you already have from your

    If you go with the invisible covering shape why not simply cover the
    whole chart and then work out what is under the mouse rather than having
    multiple covers.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Make bars on a bar chart clickable?

    Mark,

    Judging from what you've described, you might have already gone through this
    process. In any event I've documented the process of creating clickable bars
    - maybe it can help.

    http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...ble_bar_chart/

    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Make bars on a bar chart clickable?

    Mark -

    You can use the techniques in this article to capture chart events, such as clicking
    on a bar in a bar chart:

    http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    Mark Stephens
    Guest

    Re: Make bars on a bar chart clickable?

    Hi Andy,

    Sorry for the belated reply, that's a great idea, but if I go with covering
    the bars will I still be able to detect wherre I am in relatyion to them (or
    I could program the coordinates in depending upon the number of bars in the
    chart I guess). Thanks for the idea.

    Mark

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Make bars on a bar chart clickable?

    Mark -

    The technique described in this article:

    http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221

    show how to determine which point was clicked on. No need for "knowing"
    the coordinates, because the click event provides those, and the
    GetChartElement uses them to find what you want.

    The idea of having to keep track of rectangles covering bars in a chart,
    in which the numbers of bars may change, the axes may recalculate, or
    the chart itself may move, is giving me a headache.

    - Jon
    -------