Percentages

  1. #1
    Darryl
    Guest

    Percentages

    Greetings,
    I am using Excel 2000. I need to create a chart.
    I have in cell A1 $100000.00
    In Column C I have labels for data in Column D.
    Column D contains data that is costs.

    I want the whole chart to represent the $1000000. I want
    each slice to represent on cell in column D. I want the slice to
    show what percentage (like 12.3%) of the entire pie it is.

    Can't seem to figure out how to get the fractional percents.

    thanks for any help.
    Darryl

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: Percentages

    Darryl,

    Assume you start by summing following data:

    Product 1 $25,000
    Product 2 $35,000
    Product 3 $10,000
    Product 4 $15,000
    Product 5 $15,000
    = $100,000

    To get the percent of each product, divide the cost of that product into the
    total. For example, the percent of Product 1 is 25,000 / 100,000 -> or 25%.
    The percent of Product 2 is 35,000 / 100,000 -> or 35%. If you divide each
    product by the total, the spreadsheet should look like this:

    Product 1 $25,000 25%
    Product 2 $35,000 35%
    Product 3 $10,000 10%
    Product 4 $15,000 15%
    Product 5 $15,000 15%
    = $100,000 =100%

    If you already have a pie chart set up, Excel will give you the percentages.
    Double-click on the pie slices. In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to
    the Data Labels tab. Put a check mark in the “Label contains percentage”
    option.

    If you’re trying to proportionately allocate the $100,000 in cell A1 to each
    of the different areas of cost, you will need another calculation to get the
    percentage. Assume this data in column D:

    Product 1 $11,000
    Product 2 $17,000
    Product 3 $15,000
    Product 4 $21,000
    Product 5 $14,000
    =$78,000

    To get the total to come up to $100,000, for Product 1 the calculation is

    $11,000 / $78,000 * $100,000 = $14,103

    For Product 2 the calculation is

    $17,000 / $78,000 * $100,000 = $21,795

    For Product 3 the calculation is

    $15,000 / $78,000 * $100,000 = $19,231

    14,103 14%
    21,795 22%
    19,231 19%
    26,923 27%
    17,949 18%
    =100,000 =100%

    Hope this helps.

    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Percentages

    Fractional percents? Do you want to increase the number of decimal
    digits? Select the labels, and click the Increase Decimal button on the
    Formatting toolbar, to change 12% to 12.3% or 12.3% to 12.34%.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services