How do I create my own custom combination charts?

  1. #1
    Vivi63
    Guest

    How do I create my own custom combination charts?

    I am trying to create a line-column custom chart but I would like the column
    chart to be a 100% stacked column not just a simple column chart as
    determined by the custom chart in Excel. I can't seem to figure out how to
    do that. Also, how does Excel determine what data points show up on the
    column part of the chart and what data point show up in the line part of the
    chart?

  2. #2
    John Mansfield
    Guest

    RE: How do I create my own custom combination charts?

    Vivi,

    As an example, to set up the combination Line – 100% Stacked Column Chart,
    assume you have your data set up like below in the range A1:E6.

    Ser 1 Ser 2 Ser 3 Ser 4
    a 5 5 5 4
    b 4 4 4 3
    c 5 5 5 4
    d 6 6 6 6
    e 7 7 7 5

    Select the entire range. Then using the Chart Wizard, create a 100% Stacked
    Column Chart. After the chart is created, you should have four series
    visible.

    Click on the top series of the chart (series 4). Right-click on your mouse
    and select Chart Type. In the Chart Type dialog box -> Standard Types tab,
    choose the Line chart and hit OK. The line should appear near the bottom of
    the chart.

    Click once on the line. Right-click on your mouse and select Selected
    Object. In the Format Data Series dialog box, go to the axis tab. Choose
    Plot Series on secondary axis and hit OK.

    You should now have a chart with percentages on the left Y axis and numbers
    on the right Y axis. You will need to adjust the axis scale for the right Y
    axis to meet your needs.

    Excel determines what data appears where by what you’ve entered in the
    source i.e. spreadsheet and by what axis you’ve assigned that source to.

    John Mansfield
    http://www.pdbook.com

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I create my own custom combination charts?

    I generally preface an explanation like this by saying "Don't use the
    built-in custom chart types provided in Excel." I make a joke about the
    "built-in custom" oxymoron, then I point out that Excel exerts much
    control over the built-in types, usually at inopportune times, while you
    can make the chart do whatever you want if you build it yourself.

    This sets the stage for the rest of John's description.

    - Jon