Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Sort order for chart only and not on spreadsheet

  1. #1
    Dharsh
    Guest

    Sort order for chart only and not on spreadsheet

    Hi there! I neet to plot a simple graph with the data below

    Candidate Score
    A 4
    B 3
    C 7
    D 1

    The relevent numbers (are actually scores) keep getting updated for each
    candidate. I want my graph to plot it in the order of highest score to
    lowest (whilst keeping my spreadsheet in the same order A,B,C,D . . .)
    every time I update the score (automatically) without me having to change it
    everytime I do it.
    I have 32 entries. Can I use a macro to do this
    Can anyone pls help me plssssssssssss

    Thanks so much in anticipation

    Dharshanie

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Sort order for chart only and not on spreadsheet

    You could have another range on the worksheet, out of sight, that
    performs a sort of the data (use functions like LARGE in conjunction
    with VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH). Chart based on the hidden data, but
    display the unsorted data.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Dharsh
    Guest

    Re: Sort order for chart only and not on spreadsheet

    Thanks Jon but can you help me with the functions pls cos i am a fairly new
    user and could do with some help.
    Thanks again

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Sort order for chart only and not on spreadsheet

    John Mansfield has an example of this kind of chart on his blog,
    http://pdbook.com/index.php/excel/

    I'd find you the page, but the server says it's offline now. But you can
    do what I would have done: search for the word "sort" on his site.

    - Jon
    -------

    Dharsh wrote:

    > Thanks Jon but can you help me with the functions pls cos i am a fairly new
    > user and could do with some help.
    > Thanks again
    >
    > "Jon Peltier" wrote:
    >

    >>You could have another range on the worksheet, out of sight, that
    >>performs a sort of the data (use functions like LARGE in conjunction
    >>with VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH). Chart based on the hidden data, but
    >>display the unsorted data.
    >>
    >>- Jon
    >>-------
    >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    >>Peltier Technical Services
    >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    >>http://PeltierTech.com/
    >>_______
    >>

    >>Dharsh wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi there! I neet to plot a simple graph with the data below
    >>>
    >>>Candidate Score
    >>>A 4
    >>>B 3
    >>>C 7
    >>>D 1
    >>>
    >>>The relevent numbers (are actually scores) keep getting updated for each
    >>>candidate. I want my graph to plot it in the order of highest score to
    >>>lowest (whilst keeping my spreadsheet in the same order A,B,C,D . . .)
    >>>every time I update the score (automatically) without me having to change it
    >>>everytime I do it.
    >>>I have 32 entries. Can I use a macro to do this
    >>>Can anyone pls help me plssssssssssss
    >>>
    >>>Thanks so much in anticipation
    >>>
    >>>Dharshanie

Closed Thread