Y-axis tick marks in middle of chart?

  1. #1
    Ed
    Guest

    Y-axis tick marks in middle of chart?

    I am trying to clean up some charts made my someone else. These are line
    charts with 9 data lines. Some of the lines wanted to go above the maximum
    Y-axis value. When I increased the value to Automatic, the lines are now
    within the chart. But the Y-axis tickmarks, which were at the top of the
    chart, are now in the middle of the chart. Actually, they are at the value
    they were at before; it's as though I've added chart on top of the tick
    marks and the tick marks didn't move. The values are still above the top
    edge of the chart where they're supposed to be.

    Can someone tell me what I need to change to get the tick marks at the top
    edge of the Y-axis? Thank you.

    Ed

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Y-axis tick marks in middle of chart?

    Select the axis double click on it select paterns and select low (or high)
    for the location of the tick marks

  3. #3
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: Y-axis tick marks in middle of chart?

    My apologies. I guess I was using the wrong words to describe the problem.
    It seems to be the Y-axis (Category axis) itself that's in the middle of the
    chart (plot area). The tick mark labels are on top of the plot area,
    aligned 90 degrees like I want. But the Y-axis with the major and minor
    hash marks needs to sit on the top line of the plot area, and I can't get it
    there.

    Ed

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: Y-axis tick marks in middle of chart?

    Aha - I found it! It's on the X-axis formatting that I set where it meets
    the Y-axis. Got it now. Thanks for the boost.

    Ed

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    bj
    Guest

    Re: Y-axis tick marks in middle of chart?

    we may be having some discontinuities as to which is the X axis and which is
    th Y axis, so try the other axis if it doesn't work
    select the vertical axis double click on it and select scale
    one of the lines should read "Catagory X axis crosses at " Set this cell
    equal to the max value above.

  6. #6
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: Y-axis tick marks in middle of chart?

    Thanks, bj. It's been a long time since I worked with graphs and charts,
    and did indeed have the X and Y mixed up. Thanks for staying with me.

  7. #7
    bj
    Guest

    Re: Y-axis tick marks in middle of chart?

    Glad to be of help