unwanted resizing when copy-pasting embedded charts

  1. #1

    Question unwanted resizing when copy-pasting embedded charts

    When looking at a worksheet at any zoom factor other than 100%, copy-pasting an embedded chart multiplies the original chart size by this zoom factor. Since I prefer to work with zoom factor 75%, pasted charts always get smaller than their original copy. Thus, the only way I know to obtain pasted copies at the original size is by first switching to zoom factor 100%. This is most likely a bug of Excel but if any of you knows a way to correct this counterintuitive behavior, please let me know. Thanx!
    (I'm using Excel 2003.)

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: unwanted resizing when copy-pasting embedded charts

    Holger -

    There are other reasons to stick with 100% zoom, but I'll respect your
    preferences.

    Hold down the shift key when you select a chart, so it is highlighted by
    small white handles instead of small black ones. Now copy and paste the
    chart, and it will not change in size from the original regardless of
    zoom setting.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3

    RE: unwanted resizing when copy-pasting embedded charts

    Thank you, Jon! The SHIFT key did the job the way you said. This makes my work much easier, thanks again!

    Your initial remark made me curious -- what would be the "other reasons to stick with 100% zoom"?

    Holger

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: unwanted resizing when copy-pasting embedded charts

    You would ask... The chart size thing is a major one, and I only
    discovered the shift-click behavior recently. But I vaguely recall
    having issues like this in the past, not only with charts, but with rows
    and columns that don't autosize properly because the screen fonts don't
    fit in cells the way the printer fonts do except at 100% or higher, and
    other behaviors as well. For the past decade at least, I've stuck to
    100% view, and now I've forgotten most of the reasons for this.

    - Jon
    -------

  5. #5
    Thanx anyway, I think I got the idea... In fact, I recall a few issues with displaying certain fonts myself...

    All the best,
    Holger