How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error bars?

  1. #1
    carlosPharm.D
    Guest

    How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error bars?

    I have means of values that are in a line chart. I want to add error bars,
    however when I add the error bars with SD=1 they all look the same. I know
    the SD for each mean is not the same. I want to know how to get the error
    bars to represent the SD of the data set (the set from which the mean was
    derived) and not all look the same.

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error bars?

    Set the 'Error amount' option to 'Custom' and specify the range in your
    worksheet that has the SDs.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    carlosPharm.D.
    Guest

    Re: How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error ba

    Thanks Tushar,

    However, when I try to change the values for the error bars it gives me the
    error bars for the entire data set and not the individual data point. It
    does not allow me to put the custom numbers for the individual data point.
    How can I do this? Or is there anyway that the SD can represent the true SD
    from the data analysis? Any help you can give in this matter will be greatly
    appreciated.

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error ba

    Are you using XL or MS Graph? The latter doesn't support individual
    error bars. In the former, double click the series then the Y Error
    bar (or X Error bars) tab. In there you will find a 'Custom' option
    for the 'Error amount'. Use it. Then use the field next to the Custom
    option button to specify the range containing the +/- error values.

  5. #5
    KSkarupski
    Guest

    RE: How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error bars?

    CarlosPharm.D: did you ever find out how to do this? I think it's a conspiracy.

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error bars?

    Put the set of SD values into a range, and use this range as the source
    for custom error bar values. Check out this page for more info:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ErrorBars.html

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP