Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet

  1. #1
    Caliberx
    Guest

    Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet

    I need to create charts from data collected via a com port. As it
    stands, the data is written to sheet 1. Chart 1 is ready to plot data
    as it is written. Once the data is complete, I copy sheet 1 and chart
    1. This results in sheet 1(2) and Chart 1(2). All references to sheet
    1 on the newly created chart 1(2) automatically changes to refer to
    sheet 1(2). This applies to data ranges, Chart Title, Axis names.

    When creating text boxes refering to sheet1!$A$1, the reference does
    not automacially change to sheet 1(2)!$A$1. Can this be done?

    If not, can I create multiple chart titles?

    Any help or insight is welcome.

    Regards,
    CaliberX

    --
    CaliberxPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  2. #2
    CaliberX
    Guest

    Re: Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet

    Re-reading my post, it seems to be a little winded and not sure if I am
    clear enough. The answer to the following question should give me the
    help I require.

    How do I make a text box behave the exact same way a chart title does
    when copying the data sheet and the related chart?

    Thanks again.
    CaliberX

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet

    Save the workbook with the worksheet and chart you want to copy. Select
    the sheet and chart, and Move (don't Copy) them to a new workbook. Close
    the original workbook without saving. Reopen the workbook, then Move the
    copied sheets into the original workbook.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    CaliberX
    Guest

    Re: Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet

    Thanks for your input Jon. I'll try this method next time I am in the
    field and I'll let you know how it works out. The method sounds a
    little too complex to use while in the field and being distracted with
    the experiment / audience. I fear for some data loss.

    However, I've been reading quite a few of your posts and appreciate the
    suggestion and all the help you give freely to all. Oddly, I feel
    relieved that its not as simple as I imagined.

    Thank you
    CaliberX

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet

    I'll bet with a little practice, you could do it in about 3 seconds. The
    steps are pretty easy, and the file you just closed is in the Recently
    Used list.

    - Jon

  6. #6
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet

    If the text box can be colocated with the chart title, create a
    composite title cell. Suppose the actual title is in B1 and the textbox
    content is in A1, then in C1 enter =A1&char(10)&B1. Now, use C1 for the
    chart title.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Multi-disciplinary business expertise
    + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
    Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...