Polynomial Formula Incorrect?

  1. #1
    DCLittlejohn
    Guest

    Polynomial Formula Incorrect?

    Hello

    I have a printed chart that shows a polynomial curve with temperature vaules
    as X and resistivity values as Y. The X values are given in 500 degree
    increments, and the Y in 0.1 increments. I recreated the printed chart using
    the major gridline values from it and now have a trend chart in excel that
    matches it.

    Using the Polynomial trend function, excel has given me a matching curve and
    formula of "y = 0.0014xE+4 - 0.0322xE+3 + 0.2571xE+2 - 0.7144x + 1.4873".

    I have entered that formula to now solve for Y given different values of X.
    All of the calculated values for Y are incorrect. For example - if X is 0, Y
    should = 1. With the above formula Y = 1.4873. The values for Y get
    progressively further away from what they should be the great the value for X.

  2. #2
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Polynomial Formula Incorrect?

    DCLittlejohn -

    Here are brief comments about three issues:

    Excel Chart Type: Be sure to use an XY (Scatter) chart type, not a Line
    chart type. The XY (Scatter) chart type will use the numerical X values; the
    Line chart type uses 1,2,3,... for the X values.

    Excel Precision: After fitting a trend function, select the equation text
    box and repeatedly press the Increase Decimal button to display more
    significant digits for the coefficients. Use the extra precision for
    calculations. (You can also obtain the coefficients using the LINEST
    worksheet function or by using VBA.)

    Overfitting: Is there some physical reason that temperature and resistivity
    should be related as a fourth-order polynomial? If not, it is likely you are
    overfitting the data, and the fitted curve will not be useful for
    predictions. This is a general statistical or data analysis issue, not an
    Excel issue.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...