X-axis should read 20,000 years to 0 in intervals of 5,000

  1. #1
    xm_102
    Guest

    X-axis should read 20,000 years to 0 in intervals of 5,000

    Hi,
    I'm working in Excel 2002 with a line chart plotting sea level during
    the past 20,000 years. I need the x-axis to be properly labeled from
    20,000 (no minus sign) to 0, in intervals of 5,000. How is this done?
    Max

    --
    xm_102Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: X-axis should read 20,000 years to 0 in intervals of 5,000

    Would you be happy with a Line chart (rather than XY)?
    If so, put 20000 values first, and 0 value at end of column; make Line chart
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: X-axis should read 20,000 years to 0 in intervals of 5,000

    If you're not happy with a line chart, double click on the axis, and on
    the Scale tab, check the Values in Reverse Order box, and perhaps also
    the Value Axis Crosses at Maximum Value.

    If it is a Line chart, and you don't want to sort the worksheet,
    double click on the axis, and on the Scale tab, check the Categories in
    Reverse Order box, and perhaps also the Value Axis Crosses at Maximum
    Category.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    xm_102
    Guest

    Re: X-axis should read 20,000 years to 0 in intervals of 5,000

    Thank you both for your answers. However, I can't make sense of them...I
    should explain more properly.

    I have 21 values. In one column, the points in time: 20000, 19000...0.
    In the second col, the values: -116, -107...0. In another program I
    tried a while ago there was the option "use first column as label"
    which would automatically use the first column to label the x-axis.
    Couldn't find that here, so I marked just the second column:

    Step 1: graph type ->choose Line Graph, with each value highlighted
    Step 2: input ->choose just the second column
    Step 3: alternatives
    ->try a) in "axis", choose "x-axis: automatic" Output is a graph with
    x-axis labeled 1...21. No formatting alternatives for changing 1 to
    20000 etc.
    ->try b) "x-axis: date". Nothing here either.

    If I try to reverse the order of the labels, the values get reversed
    too. I don't want that.

    This is MS Excel 2002 (10.2614.2625) in Swedish, by the way.

    Max

    --
    xm_102Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: X-axis should read 20,000 years to 0 in intervals of 5,000

    Max -

    You could have selected both columns before starting the chart wizard.
    If you make an XY Scatter chart, Excel uses the first column for the X
    values. If you make a Line chart, Excel often uses both columns as Y
    values for two different series; in this case it does, because both
    columns are numeric. You can override the behavior by placing a label in
    the cell above the second column, and keeping the cell above the first
    column blank, like this:

    Values
    20000 -116
    19000 -107
    etc.

    With an existing chart, choose Source Data from the Chart menu. Click on
    the Series tab, then select the series in the list. Click in the
    Category Labels box, then select the cells with your X values (20000 to
    0), and press OK.

    This is how all versions of Excel work, at least since '97 and probably
    earlier, and in all languages.

    - Jon
    -------

  6. #6
    xm_102
    Guest

    Re: X-axis should read 20,000 years to 0 in intervals of 5,000

    Yes, that works great! Thanks Jon!

    Max

    --
    xm_102Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access