How to remove a data point in a chart?

  1. #1
    Vicky
    Guest

    How to remove a data point in a chart?

    Is there a way to remove the value of a data point so that it doesnt skew the
    data in a scatter or line chart. In other words, I would like to be able to
    conceal the data point(s) which are not within the trendline.

  2. #2
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: How to remove a data point in a chart?

    I have some notes on this from newsgorup. this is only tentative solution

    deleting one segment of the chart

    click line(of graph)
    after a secod click segment
    only the two points on two ends of the segment is highlighted
    righclick segment
    click <format data p;oint> the operative word is point
    select pattern
    line-none
    marker-none
    click ok
    cick again on the plot area
    the segment is deleted
    you can do this the other segment also

    but only problem is that the previous point is not connected to the next
    point.
    there is a gap in the graph
    anyhow wait for a solution from an expery

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: How to remove a data point in a chart?

    subsequent to my previous message I have found the source It is from Debra
    Dalgleish see the forllowing

    quote
    Debra Dalgleish Apr 30 2003, 5:15 pm show options

    In Excel 2000, you could click on a line to select the series.
    Then, click on a line segment to select it, choose Format>Select Data
    Point, and format the Line to 'None'
    The segment would disappear.

    In Excel 2002, the line doesn't disappear -- it connects the previous,
    and next points. You could change the line colour to match the
    background colour, for a similar effect to what you had in Excel 2000.
    unq;uote

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How to remove a data point in a chart?

    Do you want to hide the point, or remove it from the calculation of the
    trendline?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    Vicky
    Guest

    Re: How to remove a data point in a chart?

    Jon, I would like to remove it from the calculation of the trendline. Thank
    you. How do I do that?
    Vicky

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How to remove a data point in a chart?

    In that case, you need to remove the point from the data being plotted.
    The best thing to do is make a copy of the data, construct the chart
    with the copied data, and delete from the copy any outliers.

    The chart calculates a trendline using every plotted point, whether you
    hide it or not.

    - Jon
    -------

  7. #7
    Vicky
    Guest

    Re: How to remove a data point in a chart?

    Thank you very much