Skipping Dates

  1. #1
    Sharon
    Guest

    Skipping Dates

    Hello all,

    I have a chart that is based on dates and I want to be able to skip dates
    that do not have any data associated with it.

    Example:

    A B
    1/1/05 1
    1/2/05 2
    1/3/05 1
    1/6/05 3
    1/7/05 2

    Currently, my X axis has the dates 1-31 and if there is a gap in dates, it
    plots the missing dates as zero. I want the chart to not not put the missing
    dates from the range on the axis. In other words, just have 1, 2, 3, 6, 7,
    etc on the X axis.

    How do I do that? I have already tried changing the Chart options from
    Automatic to Time-Scale .

    Thanks for any help,

    Sharon
    Sharon

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Skipping Dates

    try
    chart options>axis>category

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Sharon
    Guest

    Re: Skipping Dates

    Okay, we're on the right track now. That worked, but since my series is
    based on $BB$3:$BB$65 but I only have data from $BB$3:$BB$25 right now, it
    wants to squish the first 25 lines into the first third of the chart and it
    plots zero for the cells 26-65. Is there a way I can get it to only plot
    where there is data? My data source ($BB$3:$BB$65) is a formula.

    Thanks,

    Sharon

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Skipping Dates

    Sharon -

    Use a dynamic range, which grows as data is added to the range. Here are
    some examples and links:

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    Sharon
    Guest

    Re: Skipping Dates

    I tried that and it seems like it is what I need to do, but when I try to
    enter the data source it gives me an error message saying that, "The
    reference is not valid. References for titles, values or sizes must be a
    single cell, row or column."

    My headers consist of rows 1-3 and my data starts on row 4. Cells A1:C2 are
    merged to create a title and cells A3, B3 and C3 are the headers for the data.

    I modified the formulas on your website to suit my data as follows:

    =OFFSET(RYGSeries1ChartValues, 0, -4)

    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$J$4,4,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$J:$J)-4,4)

    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$N$4,4,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$N:$N)-4,4)

    Do you know what I'm doing wrong here?

    Thanks so much,

    Sharon

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Skipping Dates

    You may have answered it:

    > "The reference is not valid. References for titles, values or sizes
    > must be a single cell, row or column."

    > =OFFSET(Sheet1!$J$4,4,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$J:$J)-4,4)
    > =OFFSET(Sheet1!$N$4,4,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$N:$N)-4,4)

    These two formulas refer to ranges 4 columns wide (the last 4 within the
    parens).
    /sig