Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Group two columns

  1. #1
    John Sawyer
    Guest

    Group two columns

    Hi,

    I was wondering if there was a way to take two rows (that appear as columns
    in a bar chart) and group them side by side.

    Reason being:
    I have left and right side measurements of a part, I'd like to try to get
    them together so that you can see how much they are off from eachother as
    well as being able to compare them to all the other parts in the list.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Group two columns

    I'm not sure what you are asking. I'm thinking you want a clustered column
    chart, but need to confirm.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    John Sawyer
    Guest

    Re: Group two columns

    It might be but I can't get the clustered part to work correctly I guess.
    Whenever I use that I get separate columns for each part. In the excel sheet
    I would have:

    Part1 L | 1.2
    Part1 R | 2.0
    Part2 L | .9
    Part2 R | 3.0

    The numbers are what I'm plotting. I'd like to have the Part1 Left and Right
    show up together as a grouped column so that each bar still has a separate
    color so that they are easily distinguishable. I'm not sure how unclear I've
    made it, but I don't really know how else to describe it.

    Thank you for your help

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Group two columns

    John -

    Use a pivot table to rearrange your data like this:

    Left Right
    Part 1 1.2 2.0
    Part 2 0.9 3.0
    Part N etc.

    Plot this rearranged data as a clustered column chart.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    John Sawyer wrote:

    > It might be but I can't get the clustered part to work correctly I guess.
    > Whenever I use that I get separate columns for each part. In the excel sheet
    > I would have:
    >
    > Part1 L | 1.2
    > Part1 R | 2.0
    > Part2 L | .9
    > Part2 R | 3.0
    >
    > The numbers are what I'm plotting. I'd like to have the Part1 Left and Right
    > show up together as a grouped column so that each bar still has a separate
    > color so that they are easily distinguishable. I'm not sure how unclear I've
    > made it, but I don't really know how else to describe it.
    >
    > Thank you for your help
    >
    > "Barb Reinhardt" wrote:
    >

    >>I'm not sure what you are asking. I'm thinking you want a clustered column
    >>chart, but need to confirm.
    >>
    >>"John Sawyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I was wondering if there was a way to take two rows (that appear as
    >>>columns
    >>>in a bar chart) and group them side by side.
    >>>
    >>>Reason being:
    >>>I have left and right side measurements of a part, I'd like to try to get
    >>>them together so that you can see how much they are off from eachother as
    >>>well as being able to compare them to all the other parts in the list.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

Closed Thread