[SOLVED] Understanding Checkbox function

  1. #1
    Lori Burton
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Understanding Checkbox function

    I have an employee evaluation form that I'm creating for manager's use. Each
    criteria includes checkboxes to rate the employee's performance (i.e.
    satisfactory to outstanding). It would be ideal if these checkboxes could
    contain hidden numerical values that could be added and averaged for each
    each section. Is this something a checkbox can be used for and is Word a
    better instrument for performing it?

    --
    Lori

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Understanding Checkbox function

    Hi Lori -

    The Controls Toolbox buttons seem to be fancier, but the Forms Toolbar
    buttons are easier and often more reliable. Access either set by going
    to Toolbars from the View menu, and selecting the appropriate toolbar.

    The values of checkboxes and option buttons can be linked to cells. A
    checkbox's linked cell can have a value of True or False. An option
    button's linked cell can have values from 1 to N, where N is the number
    of option buttons in the group. To put worksheet option buttons into a
    group, you need to draw a Group box around them (otherwise, all option
    buttons in a worksheet will be considered within the same group).

    You can use hidden cells or cells on another sheet as the linked cells,
    or format them with white text, to preserve the appearance of the review
    sheet. Compiling the results in Excel makes it easier to compute totals
    and averages, both per employee and across a department or organization.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services