time scale-x with scattered data-y

  1. #1
    searching for answer
    Guest

    time scale-x with scattered data-y

    I would like to plot scattered data on y-axis and time scale on the x-axis.
    For x-axis, I would like to show the major gridlines as the the first day of
    every month. It appears that the time scale function on x-axis is not
    available when using scattered data with no line connecting each points. Any
    alternatives?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: time scale-x with scattered data-y

    You can make a line chart that has a time scale axis, then format each series to use
    markers with no lines. Just because there's no icon in the chart wizard is no reason
    to give up so easily <g>.

    Is the time scale you want really a date scale, with days only, not times? Then a
    Line chart will work fine. If you want a scale with a finer resolution than days,
    you need an XY Scatter chart anyway, and the ability to format a series with or
    without lines is more obvious.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP