How do I place an average bar gray-scale in the background?

  1. #1
    Red_Ink
    Guest

    How do I place an average bar gray-scale in the background?

    I am trying to make a bar graph that displays four data sets and compares
    each to an overall average. However, rather than having the average displayed
    as a fifth bar I would like it displayed as a gray-scale in the background.
    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: How do I place an average bar gray-scale in the background?

    plot the average a fifth catagory. select it and change axis to secondary.
    (you may need to change the others to secondary depending on what you want
    the final display to look like.)
    set your y axis as you want them and set the average bar to the format you
    want.
    Note you may need to add the second X axis in chart options and change the
    data series to just one data point depending on what you want.

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How do I place an average bar gray-scale in the background?

    The average column would have to be on the primary axis, because the secondary axis
    columns will plot in front of it. Set a gap width of 0% for the average column
    (double click, Options tab) so it spans the width of the chart.

    The procedure is a bit complicated. Make the chart with the one point series,
    comprising the average. Add the series of the four original points. Double click
    this series, and on the Axis tab, select Secondary. Go to Chart Options on the Chart
    menu and check the secondary X axis.

    The four-point series is now hanging from the top of the chart: lots of times people
    give up here. Double click the left hand Y axis, and check the Category Crosses at
    Maximum Value box, on the Scale tab. Double click the right hand Y axis, and clear
    the Category Crosses at Maximum Value box, on the Scale tab. The four column series
    has transformed from stalagtites to stalagmites, and now the average column is
    hanging from the ceiling.

    Double click the top X axis, and on the Scale tab, check the Y Axis Crosses at
    Maximum Category box. Double click the bottom X axis, and on the Scale tab, clear
    the Y Axis Crosses at Maximum Category box.

    Double click the top X axis, and on the Patterns tab, select None wherever it appears.

    Now double click the Average column hanging from the top. Shade this the color for
    greater than Average. Double click the background below this average column, and
    shade it the color for less than average.

    Phew! Finally we've finished.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP