Getting a line chart to NOT plot a zero value

  1. #1
    sheryl
    Guest

    Getting a line chart to NOT plot a zero value

    I have a chart that is updated each month with new production figures and a
    line chart set up to automatically pull the data from the chart and plot it;
    however, on the months that haven't occurred yet, the line chart is plotting
    those months as "zero". I've tried setting the "plot empty cells as: not
    plotted" in tools/options/chart, but that doesn't work. Apparently, because
    there is a formula in the cell for the future months, it is plotting the
    zero... What am I missing?! Thanks a ton!!

  2. #2
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Getting a line chart to NOT plot a zero value

    Formulas must return something. "" (which they presumably now return
    for future months) is not equivalent to an empty cell. All text plots
    as zero. Either delete the formulas until they are needed (they could
    be restored automatically by a worksheet change event) or use #N/A
    instead of "" for future months.

    Jerry

  3. #3
    sheryl
    Guest

    Re: Getting a line chart to NOT plot a zero value

    Thanks, Jerry!
    I ended up just moving the future formulas out of the chart data range and
    I'll move them back in each month.