create chart from series grouped by value in another column

  1. #1
    HarCo
    Guest

    create chart from series grouped by value in another column

    How to create a chart from series grouped by a value from another column?
    Example
    The sheet has these rows:
    A, DATE, 1
    A, DATE, 6
    A, DATE, 7
    B, DATE, 3
    B, DATE, 15
    B, DATE, 6
    B, DATE, 6
    A{1,6,7} is a series and B{3,15,6,6} is a different series. I have around
    2000 different series like that in my excel. How can I auto-create charts for
    each series (i.e. not selecting each series one by one)?

  2. #2
    Mike Punko
    Guest

    RE: create chart from series grouped by value in another column

    Creat another Sheet with the data series in the order you wish to graph them.

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: create chart from series grouped by value in another column

    Depends on your chart type. If it's an XY chart, use a pivot table to arrange your
    data nicely, with Date in the Row area, A/B/C in the Column area, and the values in
    the Data area. Copy the pivot table, paste as values, remove extra labels so the
    data looks like:

    A B C
    Date 1
    Date 3 6
    Date 6 15
    Date 7 2
    etc.

    Select this range and create your chart.

    Otherwise you could write a VBA routine to start at the top of the range, loop to
    examine the first column, and when the value changes, create a chart for the rows
    with the same value. Then continue with the next value.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services