Bubble chart will not pick X series

  1. #1

    Bubble chart will not pick X series

    I am trying to draw a bubble chart.

    The X values are dates in the next few years. However when the graph is drawn, these X values are ignored, and Excel uses the row number of the cell containing the data instead.

    I can confirm this by moving the pointer over the bubbles. The label that pops up says <Point "01/01/09" (50, 6%)>, when really it should be <Point 50 ("01/01/09", 6%)>.

    Has anyone seen this before? it's the second time it happens to me in different files.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Bubble chart will not pick X series

    Interesting. If the first column is Dates XL doesn't put it on the x-
    axis -- at least not by default. What you can do is in the 2nd step of
    the chart wizard, click on the Series tab and adjust the X- Y- and Size
    fields. XL may actually create an incorrect 2nd series with the bubble
    sizes as the y-values of this series. If so, delete it.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Bubble chart will not pick X series

    In a quick test in Excel 2003 (then duplicated in Excel 2000), Excel by
    default did use the dates as the X axis variable. The chart tip says

    Series "y" Point "8/1/2005"
    (8/1/2005, 50) Size: 0.625

    If the "dates" in the first column of the data range are treated by
    Excel as categories (i.e., valueless text), then you'd see the behavior
    described by lupocattivo. What's funny, is that Excel sees them
    formatted as dates, so my numbers 1, 2, 3 for the categories are
    displayed as 1/1/1900, 1/2/1900, etc.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Bubble chart will not pick X series

    And, you figured I reached my conclusion by just pulling it out of a
    hat? {grin}

    I just rechecked XL2003:
    1-Jan 10 20
    2-Jan 12 40
    3-Jan 15 30

    XL creates 2 series in a bubble chart. The y-axis are dates! The
    legend shows two series plotted. Series 1 has self-created x-values,
    the dates as the y values and 10,12,15 as the bubble sizes. Series two
    is invisible and cannot be seen. After deleting series 1, the arrow
    keys will located series 2. Its y-values are 20,40,30 and its bubble
    sizes are {0,0,0}

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Bubble chart will not pick X series

    I made no assumptions about how you reached your conclusion, other than
    your data looked different than mine, and Excel interpreted it
    differently (not too bad an assumption in general, and spot on in this
    case).

    If you use column headers, Excel does the bubble chart correctly:

    x y z
    1-Jan 10 20
    2-Jan 12 40
    3-Jan 15 30

    The dates are used for X, (10,12,15) are used for Y, and the bubble
    sizes are (20,40,30).

    - Jon
    -------