X Axis puzzlement

  1. #1
    Carole O
    Guest

    X Axis puzzlement

    Why, when I do a simple bar chart on this table:
    Territory JUL AUG SEP
    3 123 156 192
    4 234 156 254
    5 345 248 369
    6 254 235 358
    7 219 245 256

    does the X axis show 1,2,3,4,5 and the Legend shows Territory

    But - when I replace 3-7 with NE, NW, SE, SW, C, the X axis shows NE, NW...
    and the legend only shows Jul, Aug, Sep (and drops Territory - as it should)

    I've changed the cell definition to text for the 3-7 - I'm sure there is
    something very obvious - I just can't grasp it. (It is Friday afternoon!)

    TIA
    Carole O

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: X Axis puzzlement

    Hi,

    Excel is trying to guess you data layout.
    With the values 3,4,5,6,7. Excel assumes you have 4 columns of data.
    Territory having the Y values 3,4,5,6,7. Excel helpfully use a row count
    for the x axis labels, 1 to 5.

    Changing the values under territory to non numeric causes excel to guess
    that you want those as your x axis labels so reduces the series to 3.

    The simplest way to get 3 series, Jul/Aug/Sep, is to move the cell
    containing territory so it's not in the selected range when you create
    the chart.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --