Closed Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Graphing inconsistent dates and data

  1. #1
    Chuck Jurgens
    Guest

    Graphing inconsistent dates and data

    I would like to graph some data - body weight for example. I would set up
    the date on the X-axis and the weight on the Y-axis. When inputting the
    data, I would LIST every day sequentially and then record the weight next to
    the date. If I were to consistently record a weight reading every day, I
    would have a nice smooth graph.

    However, if I were to record a weight for 2 or 3 days and then skip a day or
    2, I would have blanks (0's) by the skipped days. When I graph that data
    range, the graph goes haywire because it drops all of the way down to 0 on
    the skipped days.

    I could easily just delete the days when I didn't take a reading but that
    goofs up some of the other things I want to do.

    Is there a way to get Excel to generate a smooth graph? I was thinking
    there might be a way to "average" the weight on the skipped days, thereby
    forcing a smooth graph.

    Maybe this has already been figured out but I can't find it. Any
    suggestions / advice would be appreciated.

    TIA

    Chuck

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Graphing inconsistent dates and data

    Would touching the delete key in each cell where there is no entry help?

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Graphing inconsistent dates and data

    OR, you could just hide the 0 rows with a macro to view the graph. Then
    unhide

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Graphing inconsistent dates and data

    If the cells are really blank, that is, no formulas that return "", then
    select the chart, then select Options from the Tools menu, and on the
    Chart tab, select how you want the blanks to be treated, either skipped
    with a gap in the line or skipped with the line interpolating over the gap.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    Chuck Jurgens
    Guest

    Re: Graphing inconsistent dates and data

    Jon,

    THANK YOU! That is exactly what I needed. BTW, what is the lowest version of
    Excel that has that feature?

    Chuck

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Graphing inconsistent dates and data

    Chuck -

    You're welcome. This behavior definitely goes back to 97, and probably
    at least one version prior.

    - Jon
    -------

    Chuck Jurgens wrote:

    > Jon,
    >
    > THANK YOU! That is exactly what I needed. BTW, what is the lowest version of
    > Excel that has that feature?
    >
    > Chuck
    >
    > "Jon Peltier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>If the cells are really blank, that is, no formulas that return "", then
    >>select the chart, then select Options from the Tools menu, and on the
    >>Chart tab, select how you want the blanks to be treated, either skipped
    >>with a gap in the line or skipped with the line interpolating over the
    >>gap.
    >>
    >>- Jon
    >>-------
    >>Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    >>Peltier Technical Services
    >>Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    >>http://PeltierTech.com/
    >>_______
    >>

    >>Chuck Jurgens wrote:
    >>
    >>>I would like to graph some data - body weight for example. I would set
    >>>up the date on the X-axis and the weight on the Y-axis. When inputting
    >>>the data, I would LIST every day sequentially and then record the weight
    >>>next to the date. If I were to consistently record a weight reading
    >>>every day, I would have a nice smooth graph.
    >>>
    >>>However, if I were to record a weight for 2 or 3 days and then skip a day
    >>>or 2, I would have blanks (0's) by the skipped days. When I graph that
    >>>data range, the graph goes haywire because it drops all of the way down
    >>>to 0 on the skipped days.
    >>>
    >>>I could easily just delete the days when I didn't take a reading but that
    >>>goofs up some of the other things I want to do.
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way to get Excel to generate a smooth graph? I was thinking
    >>>there might be a way to "average" the weight on the skipped days, thereby
    >>>forcing a smooth graph.
    >>>
    >>>Maybe this has already been figured out but I can't find it. Any
    >>>suggestions / advice would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>Chuck

Closed Thread