XY Scatter Problem - strange!

  1. #1
    Andrea Jones
    Guest

    XY Scatter Problem - strange!

    I am trying to plot an XY scatter graph with 2 series from this data:

    Year 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003
    National rail 761 801 846 892 947 957 960 976
    London Underground 784 772 832 866 927 970 953 942

    However, it picks up the cells in column B (values 761 and 784) with the
    series labels so they show as 'National Rail 761' and 'London Underground
    784' and the data points are missing from the series. When I try to correct
    these by setting up the series X Values and Y Values I then get an extra data
    point at 0 around 1996 and the X Values change to 1,2,3,4,5 despite me
    setting up the year values as the X values and them definitely being in
    number format (not date format). I've tried everything I can think of but
    can't get Excel 2000 to behave itself, has anyone else had this problem?

    Andrea Jones

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: XY Scatter Problem - strange!

    It sounds like the first values are in the same cell as the labels,
    separated by a few space characters, and the second column is empty. If
    you autofit the columns, you might be able to see better, what's
    actually in each cell.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Andrea Jones
    Guest

    Re: XY Scatter Problem - strange!

    No they're not! They're definitely in separate cells, furthermore Excel
    insists on initially picking up something like Sheet1!$A$2:$B$2 as the series
    name, this gives something like 'National Rail 761'. When I correct this I
    and set the X values to Sheet1!$B$2$I$2 and Y values to Sheet1!$B$3$I$3 I
    then get a strange zero point added for 1996, try it yourself in Excel 2000
    and see what happens for you!

    Andrea Jones

  4. #4
    Andrea Jones
    Guest

    Re: XY Scatter Problem - strange!

    Well, I really don't know what was going on but I noticed a similar thing
    happened when I plotted a column chart from my data. I re-entered the data a
    few cells below and it plotted fine! I then deleted the old cells and
    formatted them all as numeric, moved my new data and everything worked OK, I
    just can't figure out what was happening before as everything was in its own
    cell and I'd plotted loads of other graphs from this data with no problem!

    Andrea Jones

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: XY Scatter Problem - strange!

    Thanks for reporting what you did to fix the problem.

    Somehow, those numbers were converted to text, so Excel was "helping"
    you, and including them in the labels.

    If it happens again, there are some techniques here that you can use to
    convert the text to numbers, so you don't have to retype them:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

  6. #6
    Andrea Jones
    Guest

    Re: XY Scatter Problem - strange!

    Yes, you're right, that must have caused it! I checked the years weren't
    formatted as text but I didn't think the data values would have ended up as
    text, I can't remember what data I had in the sheet before but I must have
    copied over some old data or something. At least it's sorted now.

    Andrea Jones