[SOLVED] Textbox disappears

  1. #1
    B. Scace
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Textbox disappears

    My question is about several bar charts I made in excel - each chart has
    textboxes above each bar - with either a "$" or "#" inside them. On all four
    charts, the symbols do not show up on the last set of bars, once I am
    finished editing or when I print them. I'm using Excel 2002.

    Why do they disappear on the last 2 (right hand) bars on each chart? And is
    there any easier way to display these symbols rather than thru textboxes?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Textbox disappears

    If the boxes are situated at each point in the chart, use data labels instead. Excel
    offers a few options of what these labels can display, but you can customize this.
    In fact, you can download utilities that apply text from a worksheet range to these
    labels. Two noteworthy utilities:

    Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
    John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Textbox disappears

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > My question is about several bar charts I made in excel - each chart has
    > textboxes above each bar - with either a "$" or "#" inside them. On all four
    > charts, the symbols do not show up on the last set of bars, once I am
    > finished editing or when I print them. I'm using Excel 2002.
    >
    > Why do they disappear on the last 2 (right hand) bars on each chart? And is
    > there any easier way to display these symbols rather than thru textboxes?
    > Thanks!

    You probably created those symbol textboxes without selecting the
    chart. That means those textboxes are directly on the worksheet (just
    like the chart itself). You can SHIFT+click the chart then right-click
    the selected chartobject and select Order > Send to Back. That
    *should* bring the textboxes to the front of the chart.

    Alternatively, select the chart and add the textboxes again.

    A simpler way? Depending on what you are doing, make them through data
    labels. Put the symbols in a column in the worksheet (I'm assuming
    your data are in columns), and use Bovey's XY Chartlabeler
    (www.appspro.com) or Walkenbach's ChartTools (www.j-walk.com) to add
    the data label column. On the chart, double-click any of the visible
    data labels and select an appropriate location for them (inside top,
    etc.).

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions