How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cells

  1. #1
    XLADLK
    Guest

    How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cells

    My Data Series contains blanks as the result of formula calculations. The
    location and number of blanks can change with each recalculation as input
    criteria change. I can make my Chart ignore an "Empty" cell easy enough but
    my cells still contain the formula which created the blank ("") cell and
    therefore, not truely empty. I want to plot the series, about 7000 values,
    without the blanks showing up as zeros and ruining my trendline fit.
    Removing those rows is not an option as I have to retain the x-axis value as
    place holder on the chart.

    Thanks for your help; nothing is as simple as it seems when you start

    Dan

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cells

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > My Data Series contains blanks as the result of formula calculations. The
    > location and number of blanks can change with each recalculation as input
    > criteria change. I can make my Chart ignore an "Empty" cell easy enough but
    > my cells still contain the formula which created the blank ("") cell and
    > therefore, not truely empty. I want to plot the series, about 7000 values,
    > without the blanks showing up as zeros and ruining my trendline fit.
    > Removing those rows is not an option as I have to retain the x-axis value as
    > place holder on the chart.
    >
    > Thanks for your help; nothing is as simple as it seems when you start
    >
    > Dan

    Replace the "" with NA(). I don't know the effect on the trendline and
    if any whether it will be acceptable to you. It's something you will
    have to check on and decide for yourself.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

  3. #3
    XLADLK
    Guest

    Re: How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cel

    That is certainly an improvement, thanks a lot.

    Dan

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Have you tried hiding the offending rows ?

    Jon

  5. #5
    XLADLK
    Guest

    Re: How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cel

    There are several thousand of them scattered about and they change with each
    itereation so there would have to be an automatic way to do it.

    Thanks for the reply

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cells

    > Removing those rows is not an option as I have to retain the x-axis
    > value as place holder on the chart.

    So you're making a line chart and not an XY chart? This may play havoc
    with your trendline formula, since Excel calculates line chart
    categories as 1, 2, 3, etc.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  7. #7
    XLADLK
    Guest

    Re: How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cel

    Hmm, that may be why the trendline isn't fitting just real well but I don't
    know of a better way. It's like plotting the number of people injured by
    tornados each month for the last 20 years and then running a trendline
    through only the Cat 5's. The next iteration might be only Cat 3 and above.
    A given month may or may not have a value depending on your criteria. See my
    problem? Suggestions are welcome.

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cel

    I guess I'd try filtering the data, extracting the Category 5s to a new
    sheet and analyzing that subset. Another option would be a pivot table,
    because you can sort the storms by cateogyr, and group the dates by
    month or year. I'd also put the data onto an XY chart.

    - Jon
    -------

  9. #9
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cel

    You are welcome.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > That is certainly an improvement, thanks a lot.
    >
    > Dan

    {snip}

  10. #10
    groj
    Guest

    RE: How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cells

    Have you found the answer yet?
    I am trying to plot a data series also through months. If the month is not
    here yet, the cell is calculated to be blank, but the chart is plotting it as
    zero. Is this similar to your situation? How did you fix it?
    Thanks

  11. #11
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    RE: How can I make a Chart data series treat blanks as "Empty" cells

    Option 1: Replace the "" in your formula with NA().

    Option 2: If you don't like the ugly #N/A or it messes up downstream
    calculations, use another column in which you have the NA() instead of
    the "". Plot this new column but use the original for other work.

    Option 3: Adapt the ideas behind
    Dynamic Charts
    http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ne...rts/index.html
    If you use COUNT() instead of COUNTA(), the solution will include only
    those cells with numbers and exclude the ""s.