Pivot Chart Total Columns

  1. #1
    Hans
    Guest

    Pivot Chart Total Columns

    Hi,

    I have a standard pivot table/chart combination displaying project
    costing&budget data for several projects. I would like to plot in the chart
    the sum of budgets and/or costs over different combinations of projects. But
    I only succeed in charting the individual entries per project.

    Any advice?

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Chart Total Columns

    Hans -

    You've discovered that pivot charts aren't very smart. They chart all
    the individual data in a pivot chart, and none of the totals or subtotals.

    Have you tried grouping the data, or perhaps taking out fields which
    subdivide other fields, for example, the quarters in the bad
    representation below:

    2003 Q1
    Q2
    Q3
    Q4
    2004 Q1
    Q2
    Q3
    Q4
    2005 Q1
    Q2
    Q3
    Q4

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Hans
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Chart Total Columns

    Hi Jon,

    Why is it that Pivots seem so limited in their usefullness?

    My datasets (Columns) would look like:
    Project CostType Month CostAmount Budget

    And I would like to be able to make some cross sections of these data
    (preferably on the fly in a meeting):
    - What is the Total CostAmount for CostType A,B and D in jan, feb, mar for
    all projects
    - what was total CostAmount for CostType A for projects 1, 3 and 4 together
    month by month this year referenced to their total budget
    -...

    Sigh

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Chart Total Columns

    I think part of it is how difficult it must be to program the pivoting
    within the charts. In order to allow this, Microsoft made some design
    decisions, which in turn reduce other aspects of the charts' functionality.

    I've written routines that recognize when a pivot table has changes,
    then replace all the existing charts in a worksheet with new charts that
    reflect the new pivot table structure. I typically use a handful of
    regular charts rather than one pivot chart, so I can selectively display
    different charts for each value of a major pivot field.

    This is not an easy undertaking, but it adds a great deal to a pivot
    table's functionality without saddling it with the limitations of a
    pivot chart.

    - Jon
    -------