is there a way to have data labels on top and inside of a bar?

  1. #1
    C. Moore
    Guest

    is there a way to have data labels on top and inside of a bar?

    I'm trying to complete a simple chart that includes both total number and
    total cost of a given. Is there a way to have a data label and a label on
    the inside of a bar?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: is there a way to have data labels on top and inside of a bar?

    Here's what I do. Chart the series, then chart it again. One of these
    series has the data label in the Inside End position, the other is
    changed to a line series (right click > Chart Type > select a line
    style), formatted to be invisible, and its data label is in the Above
    position.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Desiree
    Guest

    Re: is there a way to have data labels on top and inside of a bar?

    I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure the steps to take to Chart the series, then
    chart it again. How do you "chart it again"? I know this is probably VERY
    easy, but I'm not 100% sure what exaclty you mean and how to do it.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: is there a way to have data labels on top and inside of a bar?

    What I meant, and didn't say too clearly, was that you should make your
    chart with the series data, so you have your column chart. Then add a
    series (Chart menu > Source Data > Series tab > Add), and assign it the
    same data ranges as the first series. Convert this new series to a line
    type, then add value labels to both series.

    - Jon
    -------