Link to SQL Server?

  1. #1

    Link to SQL Server?

    Hello -

    I'm building a pivot table and chart in Excel based on information from
    SQL server. I'm noticing that the actual data is being included when I
    save the spreadsheet, but I don't want to save the actual data with the
    spreadsheet. I want just the table and chart definitions. How can I
    link to the SQL server without actually importing the data?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Andrew
    Guest

    Re: Link to SQL Server?

    When I do these sort of things I create a (small) summary table in SQL
    Server and then, using odbc black art, import it into Excel... or is the
    question not based on size .i.e. security etc???

    That's my tuppence worth... any use?

    regards

    andrew
    www.jmdata.co.uk

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Link to SQL Server?

    Hi Andrew -

    I'm not sure what you suggest would help in this case. I'm just trying
    to separate the data from the query format. I do want all of the data
    visible in Excel, but when I save the Excel file I don't want the data
    saved with it. Does that make better sense?

    Thanks....
    Greg

  4. #4
    andreww
    Guest

    Re: Link to SQL Server?

    Not really... do you want to give me a call and I'll see if I can help you.

    Cheers

  5. #5

    Re: Link to SQL Server?

    Hi Andrew - trying to call you from the phone number on your website,
    from the United States, and it's not working. Can you tell me how?

    Thanks

  6. #6

    Re: Link to SQL Server?

    Never mind...just figured it out. In data range properties, there's an
    option "Remove External Data From Worksheet Before Saving" that did the
    trick.

    Thanks anyway for the help Andrew.

    Cheers!

  7. #7
    andreww
    Guest

    Re: Link to SQL Server?

    Glad you have sorted, I understand what you are trying to do now.

    Also, to dial a UK number you need to take off the leading zero.

    Cheers

    Andrew

  8. #8
    Andrew
    Guest

    Re: Link to SQL Server?

    Greg, not sure I understand what you mean. If you call me (see
    wwwdotjmdatadotcodotuk) I'll try and help.

    Cheers

    Andrew