Cell Linking to Chart Headings

  1. #1
    Zeenet
    Guest

    Cell Linking to Chart Headings

    I need to work out how to link part of a chart heading within excel to
    a cell from another tab within the same excel spreadsheet. The purpose
    of this is to be able to change one cell in another tab and have it
    link through to the headings of various charts in other tabs. Can
    anyone help?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Cell Linking to Chart Headings

    You can link a chart title, axis title, data label, or textbox in a
    chart to a cell. Select the text element in the chart, press the equals
    key, then select the cell with the mouse. The cell reference appears
    after the equals sign in the formula bar:

    =Sheet1!$A$1

    The text element in the chart will assume the entire text of the cell.
    To get a concatenated label in the chart, use formulas in the cell to
    create the label, then link the chart's text element to the cell with
    the built-up label.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Allen
    Guest

    Re: Cell Linking to Chart Headings

    Jon,

    I did exactly the same as you suggested either on the axis title itself or
    on Chart Option/Value (X) axis: input box, but it did not work. All I got was
    a literal string, not the vlaue of the reference. Do I need to set up some
    options to achieve this?

    Allen

  4. #4
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Cell Linking to Chart Headings

    Here's an explanation of linking chart title elements to cells.
    http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Cell Linking to Chart Headings

    Don't type the formula into the data label. You select the label, such
    that it does not contain the flashing cursor, then press the euqals key
    and click on the cell.

    - Jon
    -------