Do not want chart to graph cells with formulas that are "blank"

  1. #1
    julnord
    Guest

    Do not want chart to graph cells with formulas that are "blank"

    I am trying to chart % actual v. % plan data.
    I want the chart to show % plan data through 6 quarters
    I want the chart to show only % actual through current quarter

    - I have table1 that will get updated monthly with values representing
    "actual" data.
    - I have table2 that is filled with formulas that gets autopopulated with %
    data based on values entered in table1.
    - Table2 formula is something like this [If(table1C6="","",1-table1C6/C14)].
    That way the cells in table2 look blank until values are entered in table1.
    - I have chart1 that graphs the output of table2 (along with "% plan" data
    from table3).
    - chart1 graphs the blank cells in table2 as "0" apparently because the
    cells are not truly "blank", i.e. the cells have the
    [If(table1C6="","",1-table1C6/C14)] formula.
    - with my curser activating chart1, I choose Tools-->Options-->Chart-->Plot
    Empty Cells as 'not plotted' (leave gaps)
    - it still charts the "empty cells" as 0

    Goal: to have chart1 plot the data from table2 as table1 data is entered
    each month. Do not plot the "blank" cells from table2 as "0". And I don't
    want to have to remove the formulas from table2, otherwise I'll have to
    update both table1 and table2 every month (the point of having formulas).

    thanks for any thoughts on how to accomplish this!!

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Do not want chart to graph cells with formulas that are "blank"

    What kind of chart is it? This technique works with XY and Line charts.

    Note that "" in a cell means the cell is not blank, it includes the
    string "". Change your formula to:

    If(table1C6="",NA(),1-table1C6/C14)

    NA() produces the #N/A error in the worksheet, which looks ugly, but is
    not plotted in the chart. You don't get a gap in the connecting line,
    instead you get the line interpolated over the gap, connecting the
    points on either side.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP