Help with charts.

  1. #1
    HRassist
    Guest

    Help with charts.

    I'm creating a mail merge in Word, using a large Excel data source. The
    file contains multiple names, with various associated data.
    I want to create an individualized chart for each name, using data
    associated with their name in the Excel data source file. One customized
    chart per name, merged into the Word document.

    Can this be done.

    I cannot figure out how to merge data into a chart.--- or is there a better
    way?

    Please help if you can..

  2. #2
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Help with charts.

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I'm creating a mail merge in Word, using a large Excel data source. The
    > file contains multiple names, with various associated data.
    > I want to create an individualized chart for each name, using data
    > associated with their name in the Excel data source file. One customized
    > chart per name, merged into the Word document.
    >
    > Can this be done.
    >
    > I cannot figure out how to merge data into a chart.--- or is there a better
    > way?
    >
    > Please help if you can..

    What you want to do is something that is requested every so often.
    However, there is no native way to do it nor is there a simple
    workaround to the problem.

    In fact, the only solution I can think of is rather complicated. It
    would involve creating a mail merge document with the chart showing some
    arbitrary data. Once the merged document is ready, a macro would then
    go through the document and update the charts to contain the correct
    data for each individual. At this point one could print the document,
    separate the pages, and distribute them to the appropriate individuals.

    An alternative may be to find an add-in that supports this capability.
    I don't know of any such add-in or even if one exists and if it does
    whether it is free or a priced item.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Multi-disciplinary business expertise
    + Technology skills
    = Optimal solution to your business problem
    Recipient Microsoft MVP award 2000-2005

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Help with charts.

    Tushar Mehta wrote:

    > In fact, the only solution I can think of is rather complicated. It
    > would involve creating a mail merge document with the chart showing some
    > arbitrary data. Once the merged document is ready, a macro would then
    > go through the document and update the charts to contain the correct
    > data for each individual. At this point one could print the document,
    > separate the pages, and distribute them to the appropriate individuals.

    And then having to use a macro, I'd dispense with the whole mail merge
    thing, and directly make each Word document from a Word template, using
    Excel VBA to put the appropriate information into the appropriate spaces
    in the document, create the chart with the correct information and move
    it into Word, and save the document.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Help with charts.

    Hi Jon,

    I thought of dispensing with Word mail merge altogether but that would
    require duplicating its capability and I did not want to reinvent *that*
    wheel. {grin}

  5. #5
    HRassist
    Guest

    Re: Help with charts.

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Help with charts.

    Yeah, but it'd be a round wheel this time, without corners.

    - Jon
    -------