Formula in Chart Title

  1. #1
    Phil Hageman
    Guest

    Formula in Chart Title

    I want a chart title to say: FORCAST THROUGH 26 SEP 05. Where the date is
    located in cell J1. What would the formula be?
    Thanks, Phil

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Formula in Chart Title

    In another cell, e.g. J2, enter the formula:

    ="FORECAST THROUGH " & UPPER(TEXT(J1,"dd mmm yy"))

    Select the chart
    Type an equal sign, then click on the cell that contains the formula
    Press the Enter key
    Move and format the text box that contains the title text.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Phil Hageman
    Guest

    Re: Formula in Chart Title

    Thanks, Debra. Works exactly as needed. Phil

  4. #4
    Phil Hageman
    Guest

    Re: Formula in Chart Title

    Debra,

    I see in Chart Options the Chart Title now does not exist. Does this mean
    Chart Title cannot hold a formula, and to do so requires a text box? Will
    the text box function/act exactly the same as Chart Title?

    Phil

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Formula in Chart Title

    The Chart Title can contain a cell reference so, if you prefer, you can
    add a title to the chart and link it to the cell with the formula.

  6. #6
    Phil Hageman
    Guest

    Re: Formula in Chart Title

    I moved the text box away from the title area, went to Chart Options/Chart
    Title, and typed =K1. That's exactly what came up as a chart title - K1. Is
    there something else required to make a reference to a cell work for the
    Chart Title. The text box solution is working okay, so plan A is in place.
    I'm simply wondering about how to stay within a default mode in chart
    construction. I have to hand this chart to "average" users...

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Formula in Chart Title

    The formula won't work correctly if you enter it in the Chart Options
    dialog box.

    Add a title with any text, then close the Chart Options dialog box.
    Select the title on the chart
    Type an equal sign, then click on cell K1, and press Enter.