Area chart - missing values

  1. #1
    Lasci
    Guest

    Area chart - missing values

    Hi all,

    I have been creating graphs using the stacked area type to display data for
    data by year. However I have some years that have missing data. This then
    plots as zero. I have been to tools, options, charts and clicked interpolate
    for missing values but this doesn`t seem to work for the stacked area
    chart...has anyone else found this? Has anyone found an acceptable work
    around?
    I`d be interested if anybosy has found anything similar, thanks in advance
    for any help.

  2. #2
    bj
    Guest

    RE: Area chart - missing values

    what do you want it to plot?

  3. #3
    Lasci
    Guest

    RE: Area chart - missing values

    Just numbers for each year, they are for employment figures, but they aren`t
    available for each year. I could interpolate myself and add in the values to
    the spreadsheet, I just wanted to be able to create a graph quickly without
    having to do all this...

  4. #4
    Cannot you put #N/A in the cells containing 0 ??
    I think it does not read these values

  5. #5
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Area chart - missing values

    Unfortunately this trick is ineffective in an area chart. You can only make it work
    with real blank cells. If you have some kind of lookup formula, you'll have to
    delete the ones that have no returned data.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  6. #6
    Lasci
    Guest

    Re: Area chart - missing values

    In the line graphs, I have managed to make excel ignore the missing values,
    but only by having another data set that has all the values in the graph, and
    then blanking out this line by changing the colour. This is the only work
    around I seem to have found so far.....

  7. #7
    Flávio, SP, Brazil
    Guest

    Re: Area chart - missing values

    Hi, Lasci,

    I have the same difficult.
    Couldn´t anyone find a solution for Lasci´s problem yet?

    Thanks,
    Flávio

  8. #8
    Flávio, SP, Brazil
    Guest

    Re: Area chart - missing values

    Hi, Lasci,

    I have the same difficulty.

  9. #9
    Lasci
    Guest

    Re: Area chart - missing values

    Hi,

    The only work around I have found is to interpolate the missing values in
    the spreadsheet myself (which is what excel does for the line chart) by using
    some kind of average. Not ideal but gets around the problem relatively
    quickly....

  10. #10
    Flávio, SP, Brazil
    Guest

    Re: Area chart - missing values

    Hi, Lasci, I´ve just done another workaround that was use na() function
    instead and it did pretty well in my particular case. But, thanks a lot
    anyway.

    Best wishes,
    Flávio.

  11. #11
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Area chart - missing values

    NA() is the usual workaround for this is, and it works great for line or
    XY charts, but it will not work with an area chart as Lasci was using.

    - Jon
    -------