I want my X axis to have 5-10 minute intervals

  1. #1
    Dianne
    Guest

    I want my X axis to have 5-10 minute intervals

    I have stats where I would like to have 5-10 minute intervals for my x axis.
    The Y axis has simple numbers. For example:

    Date/hour/minutes Y
    7/14/05 23:45 45
    7/14/05 23:50 50
    7/15/05 01:00 40

    It is only producing a chart with all the different incremental values
    spread in equal proportions - I want the numbers to appear closer to each
    other (the first two are only 5 minutes apart - the last two are 15 minutes
    apart) as they should - otherwise the chart is off and spread way out rather
    than looking a a correct time frame.

    I have tried with day timelines but it will not divide the days for me only
    - I have also tried to use the general number rather than the time/hour
    number as the min and maximum values.

    Please help, it is driving me crazy.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: I want my X axis to have 5-10 minute intervals

    Dianne -

    Construct an XY chart, not a Line chart. You can use a style that connects the
    points with lines.

    To set your scales, double click the axis. Although Excel expects a regular decimal
    value, you can enter date-time values for min, max, and spacing. For example, enter

    7/14/05 23:45 for minimum,

    7/15/05 01:15 for maximum, and

    0:05 for major spacing.

    When you access this dialog again, Excel will have converted your entries to
    decimals, but you can overwrite them with the more readily understood data-times.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Dianne
    Guest

    Re: I want my X axis to have 5-10 minute intervals

    Thank you all for your valuable assistance. I am using an XY scatter chart.
    Mr. Peltier gave me great information regarding the scales. Here is my next
    issue:

    I used:
    7/13/04 12:00 38181.4 minimum
    7/14/04 03:30 38182.2 maximum
    0:05 0.1 major spacing
    0.01 minor (defaults itself)

    The axis comes out with tick marks at:
    7/13/04 9:36 12:00 14:24 1 6:48 19:12 21:36
    7/14/04 0:00 2:24 4:48

    I would like it to read on the chart as ticks on the hour or half hour.
    Rather than 2hours 24 min marks

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: I want my X axis to have 5-10 minute intervals

    Dianne -

    Type the time value for the desired tick spacing into the boxes in the
    Scale dialog. So enter 0:30 for a half hour. Behind the scenes Excel
    converts it to a decimal, but don't worry about that.

    - Jon
    -------