Arrow on a line chart as a marker

  1. #1

    Arrow on a line chart as a marker

    Is there a way to add indicators such as an arrow on a line chart? For example, say I have a cell that contains, "N" and the date next to it (the date is my label for the x axis). I want the "N" to be referenced on the line chart as an arrow. Basically pointing to a spot on the line chart. Thank for your help in advance.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Arrow on a line chart as a marker

    Using an arrow is not too reliable, because shapes aren't tied to points in the
    chart, and they move around sometimes at random. What you could do is add a data
    label to a point, as follows. Select the series then the point (two single clicks).
    Press the shortcut Ctrl+1 to format the point, and on the Data Labels tab, add a
    data label, using any of the options (Series Name is fine). Select the label (two
    single clicks), then click on the text to get a cursor flashing in it. Replace the
    text of the label with something meaningful, perhaps just the "N" from the indicator
    cell.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP