time scale axis

  1. #1
    HB1972
    Guest

    time scale axis

    When I change my X axis to time scale, it changes my axis dates to 1/1/1900.
    When I try to fix this, it scrunches all my data points up to the left. What
    the heck am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: time scale axis

    Sounds like Excel doesn't recognize your category labels as numerical
    dates. In this case, it treats the categories as 1, 2, 3, etc, and Excel
    thinks day 1 is 1/1/1900.

    Remove the horizontal alignment from the cells with dates. Are they all
    right aligned? Any which are not are text. To convert them to numerical
    dates, assuming they are otherwise recognizable to Excel, format the
    cells as dates (Format cells > Number tab, select something from the
    Date category), and if that doesn't do it, select and copy a blank cell,
    select the nonnumeric cells, and use Paste Special from the Edit menu,
    and choose the Value and Operation - Add options, and press OK.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services