Formatting Legend Key Markers

  1. #1
    Barb
    Guest

    Formatting Legend Key Markers

    I am using Excel 97 and making line graphs with numerous data sets plotted.
    After making the graph, I am modifying the legend key to sort the data. Each
    data set has two lines, period one and period two. I want the same symbol
    and color for each data set, with a solid line for period one and a dashed
    line for period two. I am not interested in creating custom markers; I am
    content with the variety of of markers in the program. However, my question
    is this:

    When I go to format the legend key, the markers available in the custom drop
    down box seem to be available in two distinct groups. Sometimes the drop
    down box displays 9 solid shapes (triangle, diamond, square, etc.) to choose
    from and sometimes it displays 9 outline shapes (X, +, etc). Why are all 18
    not available each time? This is creating problems because if one set within
    a data pair has the different set of markers to choose from it becomes
    difficult to match them up (only a few shapes are in both sets).

    Any assistance is appreciated - I have many graphs to prepare and this is
    turning into a cumbersome time consuming task.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Formatting Legend Key Markers

    Hi,

    The difference in the markers is dependent on their foreground and
    background colours. If they are both the same you get the solid markers.
    Try setting the Foreground colour to black and the background colour to
    red in order to see the various crosses on square markers.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel