Named range links to external workbook, help!

  1. #1

    Named range links to external workbook, help!

    Hi,

    I have a problem with making charts linking to external workbooks. Let's say I wan't to make a couple of charts in workbook "ChartBook.xls", that uses data from linked workbook "DataBook.xls".

    I have for example made a named range called "AHeader" defined like "='D:\Data\[DataBook.xls]Sheet2'!$A$1".

    If I use the named range in a field in ChartBook.xls like "=AHeader" it's fine and shows the correct text even if "DataBook.xls" is closed.

    But if I make a chart in "ChartBook.xls" and insert "=Sheet1!AHeader" in a name-field for sourcedata, I get an error about that the reference cannot be found, but this only happens if "DataBook.xls" is closed, when "DataBook.xls" is open everything works fine.

    Can somebody please help? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: Named range links to external workbook, help!

    I've used indirect.ext to get data out of closed books.
    http://xcell05.free.fr/english/index.html

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thanks for the answer, but I'm using dynamic ranges with the help of OFFSET, so indirect.ext won't help me.

    Any more ideas?