Create a combo chart with two of the same chart types

  1. #1
    Mark Parent
    Guest

    Create a combo chart with two of the same chart types

    I'd like to create a combo chart to compare "plan" and "actual" figures over
    several years. I'd like to use 3-D Columns, but I'd like to indicate the
    components within each plan and actual figure, in a stacked 3-D column. I
    think what I'd like is a combo chart, with one 3-D column chart for plans
    figures, and a second 3-D column chart for actuals. Can I create a combo
    chart where both chart are the same chart type?

  2. #2
    Phil Preen
    Guest

    RE: Create a combo chart with two of the same chart types

    > I'd like to create a combo chart to compare "plan" and "actual" figures over
    > several years. I'd like to use 3-D Columns, but I'd like to indicate the
    > components within each plan and actual figure, in a stacked 3-D column. I
    > think what I'd like is a combo chart, with one 3-D column chart for plans
    > figures, and a second 3-D column chart for actuals. Can I create a combo
    > chart where both chart are the same chart type?

    If you use the non-3D stacked bar chart, you can put your plan and actual
    data series each on a separate Y axes (not sure why, but this option doesn't
    seem to work for the 3D stacked chart). Unfortunately the one set of data
    will sit on top of the other and obscure it so this doesn't work very well. I
    thought this might be easy to fix by specifying odd numbers as the category
    (x) values for one set of data and the even numbers for the other set,
    unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to specify a different category
    formula for the different series.
    Probably your best solution is to create two separate charts and overlay one
    on top of the other, offsetting one slightly so that the data doesn't overlap.

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Create a combo chart with two of the same chart types

    If we're not insisting on 3D charts (which are not particularly flexible
    or capable), this example shows how to use primary and secondary axes
    with column charts:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...OnTwoAxes.html

    - Jon
    -------