"Unable to read file" error message when opening a Excel file that contains a PivotTable report.

  1. #1
    Tim Marsden
    Guest

    "Unable to read file" error message when opening a Excel file that contains a PivotTable report.

    Hi,

    I am get an "Unable to read file" error message when opening a Excel
    file that contains a PivotTable report.
    All the symptoms match microsoft support article 819853, except I am
    using Office 2003 not 2002.
    Is there a patch for the problem and how do I obtain it.

    I do need to unprotect and protect the workbook and worksheets, and
    not corrupt the file.

    Regards
    Tim

  2. #2
    nojetlag
    Guest

    Re: "Unable to read file" error message when opening a Excel file that contains a PivotTable report.

    Well I have the same problem. Currently developing an application in
    Excel (I would do it on SQL Server, but not my decision), so at the
    moment struggling with the instable environment of VBA in Excel.
    I do have 2 Pivot tables in this excel sheet. While working within it
    all is fine. Then at night when I save it, I close Excel and try to
    open the same file again. That time it works. Next morning I want to
    continue, I get this "Unable to read file", initially I was getting
    close to blame Symantec AV, but it really seems to be an Excel 2003
    problem. I have all public available updates for Excel 2003 applied. Is
    it possible that one of these "security" patches causes this very
    annoying behavior ?

    best regards
    andreas

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: "Unable to read file" error message when opening a Excel filethat contains a PivotTable report.

    I haven't seen this problem, but I've had other issues with Excel's
    built-in autorecovery feature. Instead I use Jan Karel Pieterse's
    AutoSafe add-in, which is available free at http://jkp-ads.com. This
    might help eliminate one cause for the error.

    Andreas -

    What code are you using to manipulate the pivot table? It's more stable
    to create the pivot cache first, then build the pivot table from that.
    The method that builds the PT from scratch in one statement seems more
    efficient, but in terms of downtime, it's definitely not.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services