how do I create a 3-d plot in Excel?

  1. #1
    Clay Madden
    Guest

    how do I create a 3-d plot in Excel?

    On my spreadsheet, I've got three columns (compass bearing from a smoke
    stack, distance from the stack, and smoke concentrations downwind from our
    stack). Can Excel create a 2-D (concentration value shown at distance and
    bearing) or 3-D plot (this might look like a topo map on a circular base)
    with this data? I can manually convert the locations to latitude and
    longitude tediously, but I'd like to be able to paste new data in the table
    each month and see the effects without having to calculate latitude and
    longitude each month. I could not find a way to automate the bearing and
    distance conversion from the stack point to latitude and longitude. ...or
    find a 3-D chart function within Excel. Is this too much to ask???

  2. #2
    Phil Preen
    Guest

    RE: how do I create a 3-d plot in Excel?

    Select your three data columns, start the chart wizard and choose the Surface
    chart type.

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: how do I create a 3-d plot in Excel?

    Unfortunately, three columns of X-Y-Z data will not produce a useful
    surface chart. Surface and contour charts have severe limitations,
    especially for this case, the X and Y (lat and long) must be presented
    in a uniform regular array:

    Y1 Y2 Y3 ...
    X1 Z11 Z12 Z13
    X2 Z21 Z22 Z23
    X3 Z31 Z32 Z33

    See http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=447 for
    more about contour and surface charts.

    I'm sure the measurements are likely to be located at positions which
    are convenient to measure, not convenient to plot. Therefore you would
    need to convert distance and bearing (R-theta) measurements to lat-long
    (X-Y) measurements, then interpolate the measured smoke concentrations
    onto the regular grid to be plotted.

    There have been some efforts to build 3D XYZ charts in Excel; for
    example check out Andy Pope's 3D Scatter Chart at http://andypope.info.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP