colorIndex listing for Chart with autoformat settings

  1. #1
    Jean Ruch
    Guest

    colorIndex listing for Chart with autoformat settings

    Hi,

    Is there an access through VBA to the listing of the Border.ColorIndex
    sequence used by Excel for SeriesCollection(n) in
    dependence of "n"
    in Charts based on default / autoformat settings ?

    All my trials to acceed to this parameter for individual curves lead to
    " - 4105" :-((

    Thanks in advance
    Regards

    Jean

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: colorIndex listing for Chart with autoformat settings

    -4105 means default, as you must have guessed.

    Getting the color of default-formatted series is not straightforward.
    You can start by figuring the color index of the bottom two rows of the
    palette, which Excel uses as default chart colors. They start at 25 (the
    dark blue in the bottom left) and increase by one.

    However, depending on the history of the chart, the colors follow
    different sequences. Suppose I have a chart with series A, B, and C.
    These have default colors 25, 26, and 27. Then I delete series B. A and
    C keep the formatting they started with. Then I add series D, which is
    plotted third in the plot order, but it takes on the formatting of the
    departed series B (so they go 25-27-26 in sequence). Further, if I query
    the series using the old fashioned XLM technique:

    ?ExecuteExcel4Macro("selection()")

    Excel tells me that series D is also series 2. So the series default
    format is tied to the series number as interpreted by XLM, which is
    related to the order in which the series are added to the chart, keeping
    in mind that any gaps in the sequence are filled by the next added
    series. This is different than the series number as interpreted by VBA
    (which is closely related to plot order).

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  3. #3
    Jean Ruch
    Guest

    Re: colorIndex listing for Chart with autoformat settings

    "Jon Peltier" <[email protected]> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:%[email protected]...
    > -4105 means default, as you must have guessed.
    >
    > Getting the color of default-formatted series is not straightforward.
    > You can start by figuring the color index of the bottom two rows of

    the
    > palette, which Excel uses as default chart colors. They start at 25

    (the
    > dark blue in the bottom left) and increase by one.
    >
    > However, depending on the history of the chart, the colors follow
    > different sequences. Suppose I have a chart with series A, B, and C.
    > These have default colors 25, 26, and 27. Then I delete series B. A

    and
    > C keep the formatting they started with. Then I add series D, which

    is
    > plotted third in the plot order, but it takes on the formatting of

    the
    > departed series B (so they go 25-27-26 in sequence). Further, if I

    query
    > the series using the old fashioned XLM technique:
    >
    > ?ExecuteExcel4Macro("selection()")
    >
    > Excel tells me that series D is also series 2. So the series default
    > format is tied to the series number as interpreted by XLM, which is
    > related to the order in which the series are added to the chart,

    keeping
    > in mind that any gaps in the sequence are filled by the next added
    > series. This is different than the series number as interpreted by

    VBA
    > (which is closely related to plot order).
    >
    > - Jon
    > -------

    many thanks, Jon

    Your input is - as usual - exactly what I needed for my purpose :
    My Sub makes a listing - in the sheet - of the equation of the
    trendlines of
    complete arrays of curves showed in an embedded Chart .
    In order to be able to assign at a glance the equation to it's
    respective curve,
    my aim was to color the font of the equation in the color of this
    latter (on a greyed background of course....).
    This works in my sub as intended only in the case where the color
    of the curves has been assigned. (in the worst case manually .....)

    As the operation takes place in a closed loop without any possibility
    of manual intervention and as long as the Diagramm should not be
    different
    of what is get usually, all will be easy with your information.

    Thanks again

    Jean