Area charts and blank cells

  1. #1
    Pat
    Guest

    Area charts and blank cells

    Hi,

    I'm trying to plot costs vs. time (month) on an area chart. I want to split
    up the costs by time, so I've created a bunch of different data series which
    look something like:
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
    $2 $6 $1
    $1 $3
    $3 $8 $4

    This is basically just breaking up the original data series... ie
    Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
    $2 $6 $1 $3 $8 $4

    I was hoping this would produce a nice, continuous area chart sectioned off
    by colour. The problem is that it interprets the blank spaces as zero and so
    I get these weird edges at the end of series... like going from $3 in Apr to
    $0 in May. What I would like it to do is just drop straight down from $3 to
    $0 in Apr (so just a vertical line). Any way to do this?

    If there's a way to shade under line graphs, that would also do the trick...
    because those don't plot blank spaces as zero. Thanks for your help!!

  2. #2
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Area charts and blank cells

    Hi Pat,

    There is a trick involved. Enter each month twice, change the x-Axis to a time-scale, and enter the value where you wish to drop straight down in only the first occurrence of the month.

    That is, enter the data like this...

    Jan-05 Feb-05 Feb-05 Mar-05 Mar-05 Apr-05 Apr-05 May-05 May-05
    2 6 6 1
    1 3
    3 8 8

    Then create a stacked area chart. Then, select the chart, use menu item
    Chart-Chart Options-Axes and change the X-Axis to Time-scale. Format the
    X-Axis to use a one-month base unit.

    Ed Ferrero
    http://edferrero.m6.net/

  3. #3
    Pat
    Guest

    Re: Area charts and blank cells

    Great!! Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Just a comment - I'm not
    too sure why the stacked chart is needed. I tried it with a plain Area chart
    and it worked fine. Thanks again!

    Pat