Forest Plots......can these be done in excel or powerpoint

  1. #1
    Claire8
    Guest

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Forest Plots......can these be done in excel or powerpoint

    Only if you have the trees!
    To be serious, please tell what is a forest plot then we might be able to
    help
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Claire8
    Guest

    Re: Forest Plots......can these be done in excel or powerpoint

    it has a horizontal axis and the vertival axis in in the middle of that.
    There is a value which is plotted as a rectangle and then a range around it
    that is plotted like a SD as a line going through it...hard to describe. The
    axis is also not uniform ie it goes from 0.25 to 0.50 to 1.0

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Forest Plots......can these be done in excel or powerpoint

    Any links to an example, so we can see one?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    Gaj Vidmar
    Guest

    Re: Forest Plots......can these be done in excel or powerpoint

    Forest plots are an established way of presenting results of a statistical
    meta-analysis. They are basicly just type of error-bar plots, with error
    bars usually horizontal, (preferably) varying size of the symbol, and often
    an added vertical line. To clarify with an example: typically, the symbol
    would depict the odds ratio estimated from one study, the error bars would
    represent the limits of its (say, 95%) confidence interval, symbol size
    would reflect sample size (since a study with a larger sample ... - no space
    to explain statistics here), and the line would denote the odds ratio 1
    (corresponding to no effect - speaking very briefly thus simplicistically).
    Different studies reviewed in the meta-analyses would be depicted one above
    the other, perhaps ordered chronologically (or by the estimated OR).

    Of course, the arrangement can be rotated, i.e., vertical error bars and
    horizontal unity line. Also, with ORs, it is reasonable to make the numeric
    axis logarithmic, while with some other effect size measure one will leave
    it linear (for measures other than OR, the <no effect> line would, of
    course, also placed elsewhere, usually at 0). As another point, one can use
    different symbols for different directions of effect (if the topic
    researched happens to be that controversial), or at least for the studies
    showing stat. sig. effect vs. non-sig. ones.

    Anyway, from this brief description (for more, just google on "meta-analysis
    forest plot"; whoever is the original poster, he or she should first read
    extensively and thoroughly on meta-analysis, anyway), it should be clear
    that no special software is required for forest plots, and that Excel is
    actually very useful for constructing quite useful forrest plots.

    If one insists on "canned stuff", I believe the nice freeware basics stats
    package Merlin
    http://www.heckgrammar.kirklees.sch....ogy/merlin.htm
    does what it calls kyte-graphs, which might be used for the purpose of
    producing forest plots. If not, the package and the enthousiasts who
    developed it deserves credit anyway.

    As for professional stats packages, NCSS (at least the latest version) does
    forest plots as one of its advertised features.

    Hope this helps,

    Gaj Vidmar
    Univ. of Ljubljana, Fac. of Medicine, Inst. of Biomedical Informatics
    http://www.mf.uni-lj.si/ibmi-english [/biostat-center] [-> Software]

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jon Peltier

  7. #7
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Forest Plots......can these be done in excel or powerpoint

    Here's an example *** description.
    http://www.childrens-mercy.org/stats...orestPlots.asp

    Looks like a bubble chart with custom markers(square and diamond) for
    the weighting and custom x error bars for the confidence intervals.

    Cheers
    Andy

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  8. #8
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Forest Plots......can these be done in excel or powerpoint

    Oh, that's not too bad.

    Bubble chart with custom markers: make the bubble chart, draw the
    desired shape in the worksheet, copy it, select the series, and paste.
    Wow, square bubbles. The diamond is also a custom marker. See also

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...omMarkers.html

    Custom error bars:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ErrorBars.html

    The dashed vertical line is an error bar on the diamond. the vertical
    line at 1 can either be the category axis crossing at 1, or an error bar
    on an invisible point. A bubble chart can't have an XY series as part
    of a combination chart, as I like to do in my charts, but you can use a
    bubble chart series for this with no border and no fill. Otherwise, any
    of these error bar techniques for adding a line would work fine:

    - Jon
    -------

  9. #9
    Ed Ferrero
    Guest

    Re: Forest Plots......can these be done in excel or powerpoint

    Hi Claire8,

    It takes a combined stacked bar chart and scatter chart but, yes - Forest
    Plots can be done in Excel. I have placed a very basic sample at
    http://edferrero.m6.net/charting.aspx called Forest Plots. Let me know if
    this is useful.

    Ed Ferrero
    http://edferrero.m6.net/