Overlay charts in excel

  1. #1
    Amanda
    Guest

    Overlay charts in excel

    I've figured out how to overlay charts, but can't figure out how to make my
    colored charts transparent so that the data from both charts can be read
    (like when using an overhead projector and transparencies). I also download
    some macro from another question posted on here, thinking it would help, but
    it didn't.

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Overlay charts in excel

    Hi,

    Try setting the chart and plot areas to having no fill. This can be
    found on the patterns tab of the format dialog.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Overlay charts in excel

    Overlaying charts is problematic, with Excel autonomously adjusting font
    sizes and margins. Could you make a combination chart that displays all
    the data in a single chart? What are the chart types?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  4. #4
    Amanda
    Guest

    Re: Overlay charts in excel

    My chart types are columns, 2 axes' and target as a line. I have 3 vendors,
    multiple parts and quarters I'm presenting on. In my last presentation there
    was a recommendation to overlay all 3 vendors data (since they are the same)
    to have an easy comparison of who's performing better ... not an easy task.

    It's either break it down by part, quarter, or vendor.

  5. #5
    Amanda
    Guest

    Re: Overlay charts in excel

    I've tried that, it's still a white background and the data in the back can't
    show through ...

  6. #6
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Overlay charts in excel

    Just to be sure, after making the changes the chart will not become
    transparent until you deselect it, that is select something other than
    the chart.

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Overlay charts in excel

    It's possible in principle. You can use techniques such as these in the same chart
    to build up a complex chart:

    http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...OnTwoAxes.html

    - Jon
    -------