Excel gives me line plots - I want scatter plots

  1. #1
    Pangloss
    Guest

    Excel gives me line plots - I want scatter plots

    Sometimes when I ask for a scatter plot (x and y data) it gives me a line
    plot (only y data vs point number). When I look at 'Source data' the series
    are correct. Only the plot is wrong, and I can't convince the program to do
    things differently.

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Excel gives me line plots - I want scatter plots

    Some of your X data might be non-numeric. Remove the horizontal
    alignment formatting in that column: if any cells are not right aligned,
    then it doesn't contain numerical data.

    To fix: (a) choose Cells from the Format menu, click on the Number tab,
    and choose an appropriate number format. (b) copy a blank cell, select
    the cells that need fixing, and use Paste Special from the Edit menu,
    and choose the Values and Operation - Add options.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services