auto position of data labels in a line chart

  1. #1
    Nick Turner
    Guest

    auto position of data labels in a line chart

    Hi All

    Does anybody know of a way of automatically having data labels either
    positioned above or below depending on another cell value?

    Basically when I update data behind a series of charts, sometimes (depending
    on the values) its best to have the value labels above and sometimes below.
    I want the chart to know which is best automatically without me clicking on
    each series of data labels and manually changing them. I was thinking I
    could link this condition to a cell (in which I would have a formula telling
    it what to do).

    I think the only way that this could be done would be within VB, but am not
    sure.

    Thanks in advance

    Nick

  2. #2
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: auto position of data labels in a line chart

    Hi,

    For a non vba approach. Try adding 2 extra series, which will display
    the up/down data labels. Add formula to their cells so that either the
    value is used or NA().

    Format the 2 data series to have no pattern or fill/markers. Add data
    labels to each and format one set to align above and one below.
    If that didn't make any sense post back

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  3. #3
    Nick Turner
    Guest

    Re: auto position of data labels in a line chart

    Thanks Andy

    Makes sense. I was hopeing that their was a way I could do this without
    using VBA.

    Nick